Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Me and My Pitches

The first time I saw Pitch Perfect was at my friend Niccole's house. (Niccole from "Recovering from Mother's Day, and other entries.) She had been watching it, and I came over with my kids for a play date. She was halfway through the movie when I arrived, so she caught me up to speed and we watched the remainder of it together. (I came in during the competition when the lobby glass gets broken, for those of you familiar with the film.) It was quite an amusing flick, but after that one time of seeing it, I never gave it a second thought.

But then I saw the movie poster for Pitch Perfect 2 in the theater several months ago. It was probably when I went to see the Hobbit or Into the Woods, since those are the only times I have been in the theater this year. I remember thinking how fun it would be to see that for a Girl's Night Out. Apparently, one of my friends thought the same thing because she created an event on facebook for just that; Pitch Perfect 2, Girl's Night Out. Since I missed the last Girl's Night, I was determined to go. There would be happy hour before hand, and if anyone wanted to "go out" afterwards, there would be an opportunity for that.

The week before the movie hit theaters, Niccole posted a comment in the event suggesting that we all get together to watch the first movie for those who haven't seen it. Of course we were all on board. Yet another reason to get together, let the kids run around and drink wine? Yes please!

Corey came with me and the kids to the home screening of Pitch Perfect on the night before Mother's Day.  He helped the father of the house corral the kids for the two and a half hours it took us to watch the movie. Between kids crying for mommy, or escaping the play room and running around our movie area, we had multiple pauses of the movie. There were five mothers and ten children between the ages of 6 mos. and 6 years (4 of the children were 6-year-olds.) We did manage to make it though the showing, and enjoy some time with friends with the aid of two wonderful dads and some Page Springs Cellars Vino del Barrio.

As the big night out approached, my excitement at yet another Girl's Night Out increased. However, due to excessive rain (which is a ligit reason to stay inside in Sedona) among other reasons, most of the girls couldn't make it. The event ended up getting cancelled. Rather than wait until another event was scheduled, I sent a message to Niccole and asked her if she wanted to see a matinee of the movie on Tuesday. As much fun as it sounds to go out at night with a bunch of girls, the truth is, I prefer a matinee with few other people hands-down. I don't like fighting the crowds, I don't like paying full price, and I want there to only be a couple people in the audience so I can laugh/cry/shout as loud as I want to. I am an interactive movie-goer.

It's a good thing I chose the matinee. I literally laughed, waaaay out loud through the entire movie; so many hilarious lines, and visual humor. It was quite clear that the woman who wrote this movie used to write for 30 Rock and is best friends with Tina Fey (I caught an interview with the writer on Marketplace on NPR the day before the movie came out.) If you're into barbershop/accapella singing or goofy humor movies, you will absolutely love Pitch Perfect 2. (That means you, mom and dad!)

Matinee admission- $7.00
Free large popcorn refill (because I did not get my free refill of large popcorn the last time I saw a movie, and I saved the bag. Oh, yes, I work it any way I can.)
Soda (in my movie cup) - $1.50 ($2.00 rounded up for Fun Dollars.)

Balance this pay cycle- $63.00

Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment