Sunday, February 9, 2014

Second Hand Score

I love checking out what's new at Goodwill. In Sedona, we have a new location that's bigger and carries a wider variety than what was offered at the old location. They turned their old store into their new donation center. They have a drive up for easy drop-off and are open 7 days a week. The store itself is next door, and now has room enough for furniture, bikes and home decor.

I went there with the kids on Thursday. I thought that running a full load of towels would be a good idea, and I consequently broke the dryer belt. *oops* I took the damp and obscenely heavy load to the laundromat to dry. I also took a load of my clothes to run. Everyone else in the family had enough clothes to last them until the dryer got fixed. So while my clothes were taking their turn in the giant public dryer, I took the kids around the corner to Goodwill.

Carrick found a Mr. and Jr. Potatohead as soon as we walked through the door. I found a small baby toy for Lily at the cost of $2.00. It's something new to add to the toy rotation.  At the video section, Carrick found a VHS of Winnie the Pooh. We are always on the look out for movies he can watch in his room. Next to the videos, I searched through the books. I didn't have to look far to find two true gems. There in the front of the stack was a hardback copy of The Chamber of Secrets and The Prisoner of Azkaban. I could not pass them up at $3.00 each, and in such good condition. I figure it's never too early to start the kids their own Harry Potter collection.

                   Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban Lithograph on

So, my son decided to drop $6.00 of his Fun Dollars at Goodwill, and I was down $8.00

On Saturday, the quarterly clothing swap event was held in the next town over. There is a local mama's group on facebook, and we hold clothing swaps once a quarter. We all bring our gently used baby, kids, and mommy clothes to the designated meetup place, and then we stuff our bags full of whatever we want. Yesterday, it was a "Loaves and Fishes" kind of story. Every one left with as  much as they wanted, and there was still an ample amount of clothes left. They donate whatever is left over, so it does go to a good cause. I completely filled out my kids' wardrobes through to next fall completely for free. $0.00.

After the clothing swap, however, I went with one of my mama friends to a garage sale of yet another friend who lived right around the corner from where the swap was held. The friend having the garage sale is the owner (and designer of some things) at a chain of local clothing boutiques. She was emptying out her warehouse and everything was super cheap. Her husband was manning the checkout at the garage sale. He talked me into buying two pairs of MC Hammer pants. He suggested that I turn them upside down and cut a hole in the top, and turning them into shirts. I gotta say, as pants, they looked kinda funny, but as shirts, they totally rock! I also scored a pair of black leggings and two more VHS tapes for Carrick's collection (Land Before Time 5 and 7 if you're wondering.) All in all, I spent $12.00 at the garage sale. Not too shabby for a Saturday!

Before: MC Hammer Pants

After: Way Cool Shirt


So, for any of you out there reading this, go ahead and hit up you local thrift store, garage/yard sales, and maybe create some clothing swaps of your own. These are all fun ways to stretch your Fun Dollars and find some really cool treasures!

Goodwill toy and books- $8.00
Garage Sale Shirts, videos, and leggings- $12.00

Balance this pay cycle- $39.00

Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment