Friday, August 22, 2014

Hiro for a Day

Ever since we moved to West Sedona, I have dreamed about the little sushi place across the street. Well, actually, it's down the block, up the road, and across 89A, but essentially, it's just a few minutes' walk from our house. Hiro's Sushi Kitchen used to be located in the giant corner space at the Hyatt Pinon Pointe that is now Soundbites Grill. I can't imagine how many plates of sushi they must have had to crank out just to pay rent there.

When I saw them leave that space, I was kind of sad. I never had the chance to go there and try one of my favorite foods. But a few months later, I saw a sign at the corner of 89A and Mountain Shadows: Hiro's Sushi Kitchen. With joy, I planned to eat there, but it never seemed to happen.

Then when we moved to West Sedona, this cute little eatery was right in my neighborhood! I was so excited to plan a lunch date with friends, or an alone-date with just me an Lily, or a dinner date with Corey. Day after day, and week after week, I spent my Fun Dollars on other places to eat and on other things besides sushi.

That all changed on Wednesday.

Carrick had an early release day from school. Corey and I were hungry from waiting too long to eat lunch. We only had a limited amount of time to eat before picking up Carrick. "Let's go to Hiro's. It's close, it's fast, and it's going to be cheaper than India Palace," I said, urging Corey out the door. So I got to go on a quick lunch date with Corey (and just one kiddo to manage).

We arrived there five minutes before they closed up for the afternoon. They were so welcoming and more than happy to serve us. I knew ahead of time that I was not going to just get the cheapest roll on the menu; quite the contrary. I wanted one of those "fun" rolls with sauce, and raw fish on top and called something like "dragon" or "rainbow". I chose the house signature roll called "The Firecracker".




My Firecracker Roll was everything I wanted it to be. Corey, on the other hand was pleased with his "Sushi Box", but surprised at how much his meal cost. When I gave him a $20 for the lunch, he put in $20 of his own Fun Dollars, and asked for change back. Looking at the bill, he was disappointed that he had to give me all the change because after the $2.50 upgrade from a California Roll to a Spicy Tuna Roll, and another $2.50 for hot tea, he was at $20.00 after tip. I received


$3.00 of my $20.00 back after tipping out. Next time we go, I think we'll just skip the drinks all together. It kind of defeats the purpose of an inexpensive sushi lunch. If he had just got the Sushi Box, it would have only been $11.50 plus tip. It included a California Roll, three salmon nigiri, a pile of seaweed and miso soup. It's their version of a lunch combo.

Well, live an learn. That's what Fun Dollars is all about. Taking stock of our spending and changing it for next time. And there will be a next time. I am so glad I finally got to try out Hiro's Sushi Kitchen.



Firecracker Roll at Hiro's Sushi Kitchen- $17.00 (includes tip)
Balance this pay cycle-$83.00
Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment