Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mmm...More Chocolate

I have continued my experimental time in the kitchen in the past week working wonders with cans of beans. I realize that my sugar free/flour free versions of bean pastries might not be to every one's liking. Sometimes not having sugar or flour is an acquired taste. So I have been playing with different recipes and only adding a fraction of the sugar and flour called for by the recipes.

I also tried using carob powder for the chocolate recipes instead of cacao. Since we have little kids at home, not using sugar, but using cacao was still hyping them up. Cacao contains caffeine, carob powder doesn't. Also, carob powder is sweeter than cacao, I was still getting the sweetness I wanted without having to add too much sugar. The recipes I found online called for a whopping 3/4 cup sugar!

For my son, who has seen a relatively low sugar diet for the past month now, that is a lot of sugar. We made the mistake of letting him eat a few tiny party mints last week when we were out at a restaurant, and he was acting so wild when we returned home. His sensitivity to sugar is really apparent now, so I don't want to bake treats with too much sugar in them. I use 1-2 tablespoons of sugar, instead of the 3/4 cup the recipes call for.

Chocolate Chip Muffins:

1 can black beans (rinse and drain)
2 eggs
2 tbsp carob powder
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil (or whatever cooking oil you have, this oil adds to the sweetness too)
1 tbsp flour (I use a gluten free mix)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips

*The first time I made these, the batter was very thick, so I added just a splash of coconut/almond milk to the batter in the blender to make it easier the wrappers.)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or oil muffin tin or place paper wrappers in tin. Blend all ingredients except chocolate chips. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into wrappers 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Test center with a toothpick before removing from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes. Makes 9-12 muffins.

Carrick asked me to make strawberry muffins the other day, but since my kitchen space was occupied by Corey cleaning it (no complaints), I decided to use the toaster oven in the sun room. I used a smaller pan, and therefore only used 1/2 a can of beans. This recipe is for 1/2 batch. Double everything to make a full batch.

Strawberry Shortcake:

1/2 can pinto beans washed and drained (Navy or canellini beans will also work.)
1/2 c washed and slices strawberries
2 eggs
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or oil 5x7 pan (I used a glass Pyrex dish.) Blend together all ingredients. Pour batter into pan. Bake for 27-30 minutes. Test center with toothpick before removing from oven. Let cool 5 minutes. Slice and serve. Makes 9 snack squares.

Enjoy!

Muffin wrappers and baking tins at Dollar Tree- $3.00
Chocolate chips, carob powder, vanilla extract at Whole Foods- $15.00
Balance this pay cycle- $60.00
Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment