Friday, April 11, 2014

Some of the Best Laid Plans

On Sunday, one week ago, while Corey and I were enjoying our stellar strawberry margaritas with our newly purchased tequila, my mom was at our house visiting, and so was someone else. One of our friends in Sedona (whom we shall call Carol, she is a private person, and I want to respect that) came over for a Sunday dinner. Carol has become like an older sister to Corey and me. Even though she is the youngest of nine, she chooses us as her "siblings". We have become an adoptive family for her, and her for us, so it made sense that she should meet my mother, who is a part of our family as well.

As we all shared margaritas, she asked me if I would be interested in performing a belly dance for a friend of hers. He turned 70 yesterday. She was planning a dinner with some friends at India Palace, and wanted to hire some entertainment without having to pay too much. I thought it would be fun to dance and help out a friend. I would only be dancing to two songs, not a whole show, and she would buy me dinner afterwards.

I dug through my closet and found my belly dance costume from when I performed in the student showcase, Caravan Dreams in 2012. I was 28 weeks pregnant with Lily at the time, and my bosom was bigger than it had ever been. (When making a DIY belly dance costume, the easiest thing to do is pair a long crinkley skirt with a black bra, which is what I was going for.) The only black bra I own is from when I performed in 2012, and it is two sizes too big. The rest of the costume fit well enough, so all I would need to invest in would be a black bra.

As a part of my shopping at Target with mom in Prescott, I picked up the cheapest black bra they had for $12.00. As soon as I got home I tried the whole thing on and was super-pumped about shimmying and shaking it again. But alas, some of the best laid plans...

I received a text from Carol the next day. Her friend decided that he just wanted to stay home and have a few friends over for a quiet dinner at his house for his birthday. No belly dance, no Indian Food. I was a little sad, but also relieved. I had not had time to actually practice. I had listened to the songs I wanted to dance to, as well as choreographed a little in my mind, but not danced. It's one thing to know the moves you want to do, but an entirely other thing to actually dance them.

Now it's time to put my cards on the table...Up until now, I have been diligent and meticulous about recording how I spend my Fun Dollars. But, with mom in town, the line between my Fun Dollars and hers became blurred. I bought a lunch here, she bought a snack there, borrowing and repayment became a little askew. I honestly can't say where where and what I spent the remainder of my Fun Dollars on. I made sure to hold back $10.00 as my contribution to our Bearizona trip, but the rest is a little murky.


Even with my best laid plans of accounting for Fun Dollars by writing about them fell by the wayside. Tomorrow we get our new installment of Fun Dollars, mom is back at home, and my recording and reporting of Fun Dollar activity will be back to normal.

Black Bra at Target- $12.00
misc. activity-$18.00

Balance this pay cycle- $0.00

Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment