Friday, June 27, 2014

Meet Kim Crawford

*Sigh* A glass of wine. A crisp, cool white on a hot summer evening, grilling shrimp on the barbie. Lounging outside on the patio with the kids rolling their bikes around, playing, laughing. One o

f my favorite things about hot weather (which there is not a whole lot about hot that I enjoy, but this is one of them) is that cool white wine just tastes better when it's hot outside. Reds feel better in colder weather, whites in warmer weather. That's just my personal preference.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll sip on a glass of wine no matter what color it is or what time of year it is, but when I have my choice about it, I'll pick a white for summer. White also accompanies lighter food, which leaves a better feeling in my tummy when it's hot. Chicken, shrimp, crab legs, mahi mahi, it all goes with white and lends itself to being lighter fare. Add asparagus grilled in a cast-iron skillet and a delicious salad, and dinner is ready. Last night's salad included spinach, sliced mini peppers, fresh figs, and feta. I topped it off with pumpkin seed oil and apple cider vinegar. It was practically dessert! The sweetness of the shrimp and the citrus notes in the wine all paired perfectly. We ate asparagus as an appetizer before everything else was ready, otherwise, it would have been too cold, or overcooked because I started it first.

So, I've been gushing about the wine, right? In my world, there is only one white (at least for right now). My heart and palate belong to New Zealand, Marlborough County to be precise. And the varietal?  Sauvignon Blanc. There is just something about the grapefruit notes in these wines that speaks to my soul.

I don't like all brands of this specific type of wine, however. If you remember about a month ago, our family went on our "$65.00 Vacation". The bottle of wine that I purchased on vacation was a Marlborough County Sauvignon Blanc called "Matua". It came in a bottle with an aqua label, and I bought it purely on aesthetics. It was a brand I had not tried yet from the Marlborough family. It turned out to be too acidic for my palate. It was the first time I didn't thoroughly enjoy my signature drink!

Noblio, Oyster Bay, and Kim Crawford are the three that I buy most frequently. The first two are on the less-expensive side. I can usually find them for right around $10.00. They work, but when I can get it, my wine of choice is Kim Crawford. I don't know who he or she is, but the balance, smoothness and citrus of Kim Crawford really blows my skirt up.

http://www.kimcrawfordwines.com/us/Our-Wines/Regional-Reserves/Marlborough/Marlborough-Sauvignon-Blanc.htm

So last night's dinner was truly the essence of summer for me. My favorite white wine, perfectly chilled, grilled shrimp, asparagus, and fig salad. A light, summer dinner enjoyed out on the patio. As we ate, someone in our neighborhood started playing a Native American flute. It was almost too delightful to be true. Live music, family, and food. What more is there to life? Oh yeah, wine.

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc on sale at Safeway- $11.00 (Normally $17.00)

Balance this pay cycle- $57.00

Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment