Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Master Chef Mama

Oh dear! I have been soooo good with what I put in my mouth for over a month now. Since the first of August, I have curbed my carbs, slacked on sweets and watched my wine. But on Monday night, I needed a home-cooked pasta dish, and vino sounded like a good idea. I thought I would also make a Greek Salad with the farmer's market sprouts (kale and sunflower if you're curious.)

For starters, I had to return some yucky beef to Basha's. I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say, it smelled more than two days old. I took both kids (alone, Corey was in Phoenix) to Basha's and returned the beef  and replaced it with a pound of grass-fed ground beef. While I was waiting for the butcher to come to the counter, I spied gluten free pasta and organic tomato basil sauce on an end cap. I was sooooo very pumped about making dinner.

Carrick was determined to have a hamburger (sans bun) for his dinner, but I could hear pasta and meat sauce calling my name.  I knew I was not walking out of Basha's without a vino rojo to accompany my beef. A tried and true brand made for a quick grab while the kids were using anything but their inside voices. Bogle Petite Syrah came home to kick my pasta dish into high gear.


I concocted a delicious drizzling of grass-fed beef, portabella mushrooms, and rosemary (from our yard) to douse the gluten free pasta. I grilled hamburger patties for the kids, and steamed broccoli for them in a basket over the boiling pasta water. When the meal was ready, I felt more like I was eating out at a restaurant than in my dining room.


One glass was all I needed. The Petite Syrah paired perfectly with the beef. I satisfied my craving for an Italian flavor without resorting to pizza. And, my Greek Salad served the purpose of desert more than salad. It was a flavor profile I desired to experience. I had no need for sweets after the meal. Whatever I'm doing with my "diet" seems to be working. Feeling satisfied with an entree and a salad is a new thing for me, and I think I like it.


As for the remainder of the wine, Corey poured a glass when he returned home from Phoenix that night. Then last night, he and I shared the rest of the bottle over the season finale of Master Chef. I won't spoil it for you but the person wins who I thought would win. Thanks for all the inspiration, Master Chef Season 5, I have channeled kitchen competence from you, and congratulations to the winner.

Bogle Petite Syrah at Basha's- $11.00
Balance this Pay Cycle- $89.00
Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment