Friday, January 10, 2014

Food, Glorious Food!

On Wednesday, as I mentioned, I was sick. Yesterday, Thursday, I was recovering. My fever had passed but m body was still slow-moving and I would get the occasional chills. I had very little appetite and even less desire to be in the kitchen cooking. My solution? Take m fun dollars to the new Taco Bell/KFC that just reopened.

Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but I didn't want to go into a grocery store looking like death warmed over just to get a side of mashed potatoes. Not to mention my son was home from school yesterday (he goes MWF) and I didn't want to take two kids into a store for one little thing while I still felt weak. The drive through offered the simple solution. My son even chose to use his fun dollars on a bean burrito with a side of nacho cheese, his favorite.

Ever since going through the drive through yesterday, I realized just how much I depend on fun dollars to get me meals. For as long as I can remember, I have avoided being in the kitchen. It has only been in recent years that I started to find confidence and maybe even a hint of enjoyment while creating meals. But when I get so run down, like I was yesterday, the only thing I can think of is, "Someone else, PLEASE make me some food!!!!" I notice this happening when I get caught up doing housework too. I could fold and organize and put away laundry all day long. In fact, some days I do that. When that happens, I find myself shouting to the rooftops, "FOOD, NOW!!!!" I get so wrapped up in what I am doing that I don't plan ahead to stop and make food before I get hungry. Then I use the crutch of fun dollars to get something off the dollar menu.

I think when I ask myself, "Where did my 2013 fun dollars go?" I can safely answer that with "into the toilet."

So what can I do to ensure a more responsible expenditure of my fun dollars? Maybe I can start a sub-category of fun dollars that is just for food, and when it runs out, it's gone until next pay period. Or I can be proactive with my eating habits instead of waiting until my hunger pains get the better of me. Or a combination of both. One thing is for certain, I need to cut back on my emergency eating expenditures so that I can have more money to spread to more worthy purchases than dollar menu items.

$2.00 at Taco Bell/KFC for a side of mashed potatoes
Balance remaining this pay cycle $66.00

Happy Spending!

No comments:

Post a Comment